Saturday, May 21, 2005

Do YOU Mind Showering Around Others?

Last night my friends and I got into a good conversation about taking showers in the presence of others. It was good because we heard both male and female opinions. We all agreed that we didn't like showering around others. It's funny because, about 50 years ago, if a person didn't want to shower around others they were usually deemed as having a "problem" with their sexuality. Today, from what I gather, things are quite different.

When I was in junior high I remember one girl in my athletics class who was brave enough to take a shower in the dressing room stalls. The first day she did this, a big group of girls came running into the dressing area saying "Eew, [so-in-so] is in there taking a shower! What a weirdo!" Now this may have been a reflection of teenage immaturity OR it may have been more of something else. Perhaps a sign of the times? Hmm, maybe people simply don't like taking showers with others around!

I know a lot of my friends who had to deal with "community showers" at my undergrad college. Those commuity showers don't seem as bad to me though because at least they had shower curtains, unlike wide-open, curtainless community showers do. However, one might still worry about people peeking through the cracks at the edges of the shower curtain -- but who really does that (peeks)? Hopefully no one. Still, I am thinking I wouldn't care for community showers -- though I have never tried them.

One guy friend last night was telling us that he went to a church camp once and the only showers were all wide-open showers (no curtains or anything). He said people would usually go and take showers all at the same time. He, however, being very modest, didn't feel comfortable doing this. I think he said he did it one time and everyone was talking to him while he was in there (What ever happened to not looking around while in those type of showers?). So, he had to make THE big decision: Should I continue to bathe while I'm here or dare I just go stinky the rest of the week? Finally, he decided it would be best to awaken at 5 a.m., when nobody was up, to take a shower. Phew.

Another thing we all talked about was that it would be more embarrassing to shower with people we knew than it would be to shower with total strangers. At least with strangers, you possibly wouldn't have to see them again. And now I just thought about prison. I guess prisoners who deal with open showers [and a guard watching over them] just have to get used to it. Open showers is punishment right there -- but I suppose there are those few different people out there who actually like taking them. Open showers is enough to make me want to steer clear of prison.

Anyway, speaking of open showers, have you ever been to a department store that has open dressing rooms? Those are just strange to me.

Also, would YOU have a problem with open showers?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha well i was in colorguard, and when you travel, its either shower with 20 other people, or dont shower at all. it really isnt so bad, and its actually kinda nice having someone to talk to in there!!
also, when i lived in bruce hall last year on campus, we had community showers, but they were awesome! each shower had a little door (like on the toilets) that led into a little private dressing room, and then a curtain that led into the shower, so no one could peek in!

haha, just my shower-two-cents.

ps- how many girls can actually say they have showered with a lesbian AND an iranian at the same time?!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Gel said...

HI- Surfed here via Blog Explosion.
This brought back horrid gym class memories of those open group showers. Simpley horrid.

They are banned now from our state school system. That said, no I don't want to shower with others.
If need be, I would, after I was *very* dirty! As for those I know or strangers, it depends on the person.

There are many I know who would give someone privacy while we eached showered.

Clever of that guy to rise early! Good post. I blogmarked you! Hoep you come by my site. Showering not necessary. ;)

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home