Monday, April 04, 2005

Why Soap Operas?

Have any of you ever looked at a word like "opera" or "spoon" and thought to yourself, "My that word looks funny"? So weird! Oh well, that's not what this blog is about. This blog is about... (you guessed it)...

Soap Operas! *crowd goes wild... or not*

My name is Holly and I'm a soap watcher.

Although I'm a soap watcher, I'm really not addicted (although the above statement may have lead you to believe otherwise). Unlike some people, I could care less whether or not I ever get to see another episode of Days of Our Lives again. However, I still watch the show when I happen to catch it on and, occasionally, I like to check in online at SoapCity to find out the latest happenings on the show. All the while, deep down I find myself pondering the question of "Why?" Why do I even care what is going on in the lives of Bo, Hope, Shawn, Belle, Mimi, Rex, and the rest of the bunch in the Salem bubble? It's really all quite perplexing.

Though it is solely my humble opinion, I've always thought the quality of the acting in soap operas is just "so-so." Nothing too special. So, if it's not for the acting that I enjoy the show, what is it for?

At first I was afraid. I was terrified. To think that I could... Oh wait. We were talking about soaps. Sorry. Just making sure you were paying attention! Anyway, back to why I may enjoy these shows! Have any of you ever noticed how utterly slow the story lines of soaps are? One week a character will have a serious issue arise (e.g. "Who should I sleep with next?") and begin debating what to do about it. Six weeks later, they're still debating. Nothing too new. It's so, um, annoying... if one watches the show everyday. What I like about soap operas is that I can pick up five or six weeks later on the show and still not have missed too much. It's like free TiVo, but not really TiVo. This still, however, doesn't answer the question of why I bother watching such shows in the first place.

I guess one answer to this question of "why?" is that soaps can be a nice, fictional get away from the "real" world. Yes, most soaps resemble real life events but hardly real life itself. Afterall, how many towns are there where everyone is related to each other (okay, scratch that!), everyone is stereotypically gorgeous, everyone is exceedingly wealthy, etc.?

Watching soaps is basically just like reading a juicy novel where one just has to find out what happens next but is forced to wait (either because of slow reading, fast reading but still not finishing, sleepiness, a "to be continued," etc.) - don't you just hate that? Waiting. And, even if the story's not that juicy, there's almost always that feeling of wanting to know what happens next. Soaps are a constant tease!

Still, all these answers to my questions are not enough. I am still not completely certain of "why?" I find interest in such shows...

I guess the world may never know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home