Wednesday, June 22, 2005

One Year Anniversary of Grandma's Passing


My Grandma (1909-2004)

This week marks the one-year anniversary of my Grandma’s death. Therefore, I’d like to share with everyone a little bit about who this remarkable lady was during her time here on this earth. I believe it is well worth your read.

“To Know Vern Was To Love Her”

The above quote was said of my grandmother at her funeral. To know her was, indeed, to love her. She was one of those people a person could go to for just about anything. They never had to fear being judged, or having their secrets told, or losing her respect. She was like a living “Melanie Wilkes” from Margaret Mitchell’s famous novel, “Gone With the Wind.” A beautiful soul shining with integrity.

Growing up, I spent much of my days with my grandma. When I was in the first grade, my grandfather got really sick with cancer and the family decided it was best that he and my grandmother move into town to be near my mom (a physician) who could take care of him. They ended up moving right around the corner from us and there was even an alley that connected our homes. My brother and I spent most of the evenings after school over at their house. We were afraid of being at home with my dad when my mom was at work. My grandmother was our savior. In fact, she was the first person, besides my mom, whose shoulder I can remember crying on. Her words were always so comforting. That is how we really bonded.

My grandfather died when I was in the sixth grade. Grandma lived alone for seven or eight more years after that before she fell, in her early 90’s, and broke a hip, causing her to have to live in a nursing home. A funny thing, though, was that she also drove her car clear up until the age of 90! Finally, we just told her that her car was broken (though it wasn’t) and that she couldn’t drive anymore. She never once complained.

Her Early Years: The Sprouting of New Life Paths

My grandmother grew up as the daughter of a well-loved physician. In the early 1920’s she attended Texas Women’s University which, then, was a very private and elite school (and is still a very good school today). What was her dream? She aspired to become a physician just like her father. Her yearbook even referred to her as the future “Dr. Stevens.” Things were working out as she had been accepted into a prestigious medical school. Then, however, the unthinkable happened…

One day she received a call from a family member saying that her father had suddenly fallen ill after having been infected a few days earlier with an unsterilized syringe. She was told to come quickly because he wasn’t expected to make it. Shocked, she rushed to be by his side. Her father died that day in his early 40’s. She was devastated. He was her best friend. She was left with the responsibility of supporting her mother and two young brothers. Her dreams of going to and of affording med school were dashed. What did she do? She became a teacher.

My grandmother taught school for 41 years. What is so amazing about being a teacher is the amazing impact one can have on so many lives – impacts that are never forgotten. When my grandmother died in June, several of her former students turned out for her funeral. These were the people she had taught as first graders who were coming to her funeral when she was 94 years old. Imagine the impact she must have had on their lives! All spoke of how they loved her so. Remember, “To know Vern was to love her.” It surely was.

I’ll never forget my grandmother and the impact she had on my life. She was the only grandmother of mine that I ever knew. It was she who was the first person to tell me that saying “Oh my God” wasn’t a good thing (though I still slip and say it from time to time). She was the only elderly person that willingly watched “Night of the Living Dead” with me – and liked it! She was the first person to teach me that “A Christian must have faith, virtue, love, knowledge, self-control, and brotherly kindness.” God couldn’t have blessed me with a better grandmother. It was an honor to know her for the short 23 years that I did.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
cash for cars brisbane
scrap cars sydney

7:05 PM  
Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for old cars brisbane
car wreckers brisbane

7:28 PM  
Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
accidental car removal
bus wreckers sydney

7:50 PM  
Blogger Fast Car Removals said...

Such a great information for blogger I am a professional blogger thanks. Best car removal logan means cash up to $9999 and free fast pickup. We take any car whether it’s used, scrap, junk, old, salvage, written-off or accidental. Our drivers are prompt and pick up a car at the scheduled time. Hassle free service and quick paperwork. We need your driver’s license to make a selling receipt and cash will be paid on arrival. We bought 39% of total cars from Ipswich last year and the number is increasing.

4:39 AM  
Blogger BNE Copper Recycling said...

Hello! I found your website on google and found it very useful and informative for our business and I also shared your website with my other friends also. BNE Copper Recycling do eco-friendly cash for scrap metal brisbane and pay you the most competitive prices in the recycling industry. We buy, collect, and recycle your scrap metal and save the planet from the harmful greenhouse gas emanations that are the primary reason behind the ozone layer damage.

4:57 AM  
Blogger sanawisal said...

I can honestly tell you that no where on the internet is there any place where information is organised in such a manner. This is exactly what I wanted to find and had been looking for quite a while now. Finally I stumbled upon this. Great work and thanks again for this. Cash For Car craigieburn

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home