Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Depression is a Dark Place

My new favorite music artist is Missy Higgins. I have been listening to her songs off and on all week (Go to her website, in the link above, and listen to her songs for free. A music player, where you can select and play songs, will be in the top right corner of the screen). The songs she sings are absolutely brilliant and she writes them herself too, which I really admire in singers. One of her songs that I first listened to tonight really struck me, so I wanted to blog about it here...

The song is called "Nightminds," and when I first heard it my eyes watered. The words in it are the very kind of words that I believe individuals struggling with depression desperately need to hear from at least someone that they love. Someone who can aid them in their lonely fight. Someone who cares and won't avoid them simply because "depressed people bring me down." Someone whose words are: True. Honest. Empathetic. Comforting. Encouraging. Social support and empathic understanding are critical factors in being able to come out of depression.

Depression is such a dark place that it is almost impossible to get out of it without someone there to lend us their hand and lead us out of the darkness...


"Nightminds"

Just lay it all down.
Put your face into my neck and let it fall out.
I know
I know
I know.
I knew before you got home.
This world you're in now,
it doesn't have to be alone,

I'll get there somehow, 'cos
I know I know I know
when, even springtime feels cold.

But I will learn to breathe this ugliness you see,
so we can both be there and we can both share the dark.
And in our honesty, together we will rise,
out of our nightminds, and into the light
at the end of the fight...

You were blessed by a different kind of inner view: it's all magnified.
The highs would make you fly, but the lows make you want to die.
And I was once there, hanging from that very ledge where you are standing.
So I know
I know
I know,
it's easier to let go.

But I will learn to breathe this ugliness you see,
so we can both be there and we can both share the dark.
And in our honesty, together we will rise out of our nightminds
and into the light at the end of the fight.

Written by. Missy Higgins

P.S., If you listen to her songs, come back and tell me what you think!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ian Pye said...

I like Missy Higgins too. I think she writes wonderful songs and I love her voice, which is quite unique.

6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home