Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Thing I Don't Like

I understand that having a positive attitude is important to living a decent, well-balanced life. Yet, I further believe that, when negative thoughts and feelings do arise in life (which happens from time to time in all of us), individuals are better off expressing them in some way in a positive outlet (whether it be to a trusted friend; a beloved parent; on a blog; or within the pages of a hand-held journal) rather than repressing those thoughts and feelings [perhaps out of fear of appearing negative]. So, tonight I would just like to be negative for a bit, right here, on my blog. I want to talk about something I "don't" like about myself, and that is:

My voice.

I do not like my voice. I have been self-conscious about it most of my life, but it has only recently begun to get on my nerves since I started my internship in counseling. It's too high-pitched and shaky (and if it sounds high-pitched inside my head, who knows what it sounds like to others?!). I am not saying that I dislike high-pitched voices on others necessarily, but just on myself mostly. I suppose I feel like it doesn't fit who I am or who I envision myself to be.

Don't get me wrong. I do not desire to have a masculine voice at all; just one that is a little bit deeper, that's all. I think it would help me in my career also, as I feel a little bit of a deeper voice may sound somewhat more professional and less like I have yet to hit puberty.

So, that's my ounce of negativity for the day. Just getting it out has been a pound of cure!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home