Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Stand

I stand outside your door and watch as others try to assist you. Your agitated behavior makes it very difficult for the staff to leave you alone. They must watch over you constantly so that you do not hurt yourself. A lady asks you what time it is - it's 4:00. She asks you if you know where 4:00 is on the clock. You raise your once strong but now rather weak arm and make an effort to point to the clock. Those who are watching you are desperately hoping you know where 4:00 is, but to be honest it's really hard to tell if you know for sure. They go on and tell you, "very good." Very good.

I stand inside your door and gaze upon the pictures of you which your loved ones have strung up around the room. There you were, before this happened to you. The smile on your face tells one you never could have predicted that you would be here, in this serious place, right now. Your young skin, your young wife, your young child - all forever changed. From your picture I can see you once wore an earring. The clothes you wore were rather stylish, too. Your personality must have been quite vibrant. One can only imagine you were once very happy. For now we can only hope that, perhaps one day, you and everyone else will be very happy again.

I stand outside your door again and listen to your mumbled cries, "Help me! Help me!"

I will do my very best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home