Sunday, May 04, 2008

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals

Throughout the years, I have seen and heard stories in the news about the organization called, "PETA" (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals). I have never really given much thought to the purpose of the PETA organization. Quite frankly, while growing up and living in Texas, home to bull riding and other such animal-involved sports, I have heard people - even some in Hollywood - poke fun at this group.

Tonight, however, I was driven to visit their website for more information regarding their position on Saturday's euthanization of Eight Belles, the filly that, only minutes after finishing second at this year's Kentucky Derby, had to be euthanized after breaking her ankles. What I found on the PETA website was quite disturbing as well as eye opening.

The following video, from the PETA website, exhibits animal cruelty inside Chinese fur farms. I found it very difficult to watch. However, it is important for anyone who is an animal lover, or whom even calls themselves a compassionate human being, to see.

NOTE: This is a very graphic video, so view it at your own risk:

Pledge to go fur-free at PETA.org.

www.peta.org

2 Comments:

Blogger FeedingYourMind said...

Umm...I only got through the first maybe 30 seconds of that video. I've never been one to be able to watch people being harmed...it makes me cringe and I honestly hurt for the people. And though I haven't really thought I would really find myself feeling that same type of feeling when watching an animal suffer, I discovered that in the beginning of that video.

Though I am not even completely sure what type of animals those were in the videos (they kinda looked like big racoons maybe), it hurt to see them struggle and continue to suffer as the people put them through such torture. I decided I'd seen enough as I witnessed the individual skinning the poor animal as it was still hanging there ALIVE. Skinned ALIVE...that's TERRIBLE.

Enough.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Holly said...

Definately sad and hard to watch. I feel so bad for those poor, defenseless animals. I can't stand to watch the video again since watching it that first time because it is so hard to watch. :(

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home