Monday, November 28, 2005

RENT: See it in the Next 525,600 Minutes

This weekend a friend and I saw "RENT," the movie version of the hit broadway musical. I must admit, when my friend said he wanted to see this movie I thought to myself, "Ugh, I don't like musicals. I'm not a 'musical' person." Yet, I decided to open up my mind and give it a chance to see what I would find. What I found was a very impressive film with a good message and addicting songs!

The synopsis of RENT goes something like this:

"Based on Puccini's classic opera 'La Boheme,' Jonathan Larson's revolutionary rock opera "Rent" tells the story of a group of bohemians struggling to live and pay their rent in the gritty background of New York's East Village. 'Measuring their lives in love,' these starving artists strive for success and acceptance while enduring the obstacles of poverty, illness and the AIDS epidemic." - Rebecca Murray, About.com

This movie has such a powerful message imbedded within its songs and stories -- that message being to value love, life, friendships, and relationships.

The story behind the musical may not appeal to some parties as it deals with many controversial issues such as drug abuse, same-sex attraction, and AIDS, just to name a few. Some parts of the movie, take for instance a very erotic dance scene, may not be pleasing to some viewers eyes. I found this scene to be a little on the "that's a bit sick, put some clothes on" side. There are some other scenes like this, too. If you can handle these, you will see a good movie -- one that may even bring tears to your eyes.

Even if you don't care to see the movie for the storyline and the message, the songs are worth hearing. I admit, there were a rare few songs where I thought "umm, that sucks -- it doesn't even sound like a song."

To listen to some of the songs (thanks to JWalk for this link), click here, then click on "Enter the Site" over on the right side of the screen. At the bottom, there's a spot that says "Launch Rent Music Player" and you can click on it and hear some of the songs.

My favorite song from the movie is:

"Seasons of Love" (which I believe is the theme song)

COMPANY
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Moments so Dear
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
How Do You Measure - Measure A Year?
In Daylights - In Sunsets
In Midnights - In Cups Of Coffee
In Inches - In Miles
In Laughter - In Strife

In - Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
How Do You Measure
A Year In The Life

How About Love?
How About Love?
How About Love?
Measure In Love

Seasons Of Love
Seasons Of Love

SOLOIST #1

Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Journeys To Plan
Five Hundred Twenty-Five Thousand
Six Hundred Minutes
How Do You Measure
The Life Of A Woman Or A Man?

SOLOIST #2

In Truths That She Learned
Or In Times That He Cried
In Bridges He Burned
Or The Way That She Died

ALL

It's Time Now - To Sing Out
Tho' The Story Never Ends
Let's Celebrate
Remember A Year
In The Life Of Friends

Remember The Love
Remember The Love
Remember The Love
Measure In Love

SOLOIST #1

Measure, Measure Your Life In Love

Seasons Of Love...Seasons Of Love

Also, here's an outtake from another song I liked:

From "Finale B":

There's Only Us
There's Only This
Forget Regret Or Life Is Yours To Miss

No Other Road
No Other Way
No Day But Today

I Can't Control
My Destiny
I Trust My Soul
My Only Goal
Is Just To Be

2 Comments:

Blogger FeedingYourMind said...

Thanks for the review. Though I've heard of "Rent" for many years, as it is a big-name broadway, I've never known what it is about.

I look forward to seeing it sometime now!

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Holly--thanks for the review! Now this could be completely tacky, but I'll say it anyway. :)

So I have wondered what this musicial was about because in "Team America: World Police" (hilarious movie!) there's a musicial called "Lease" with the same look as "Rent." The song they sing is called "Everyone has AIDS." It's a catchy/humorous little tune. Anyway, I wondered about the whole AIDS connection...I see now....thanks Holly!

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home