Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The Ghosts of Roommates Past

Well, I don't know if the title I called this blog really makes sense. None of these girls I speak of in this blog are ghosts (that I know of) -- but they were all (and one currently is) my roommates! Read and enjoy! There's quite a lot you can learn about me from these!

Tasha: I will never forget my first roommate ever, Tasha. During orientation the summer before school began at WC, my tennis coach (Coach Coan) had our new team get together, practice, and tell stories about ourselves -- basically just a big weekend of icebreaking! During the weekend, Coach Coan assigned us to our very first roommates. Although I had already known Shannon, Anna, and Jennifer H. before becoming teammates (God strangely had us meet earlier that summer - and we had all played each other in highschool tennis before yet we never really knew one another until then) - none of them were assigned to be my roommate. Instead, coach assigned me to Tasha. I remember getting in my car afterwards w/ Shannon, Anna, and Jennifer (we all rode to orientation together as new friends!) and we were laughing at how weird my roommate was. Tasha -- the quiet girl from the beach with long, brown, stringy hair which carelessly hung over one of her eyes -- the girl who said she collected "milk labels" -- was going to be my roommate! The girls teased me about it the rest of the weekend. Then, however, we got to know Tasha once we had settled into the school/dorm life. She was actually a really good roommate. She did steal my nasal spray because she thought it was drugs, but other than that she was great! She remained part of my circle of friends throughout my two years at DubC. Then Hollee -- who became my best friend -- and I begged Tasha to trade roommates and let Hollee take her place as my roommate. Tasha moved out and Hollee moved in... for a short time.

Hollee: Oh the memories of Hollee! Hollee was the first best friend I ever made in college. It was one of the deeper friendships I ever made in college. Hollee and I had so much in common: We shared the same name, our b-days were the same month and only a few days apart, we both had heart murmurs, we both were on the tennis team, we both drove SUV's - I even saved her life once (but I won't go into that). We were sisters. I don't know how we stayed alive that semester - we never got any sleep because we'd stay up all hours of the night nearly every night chatting the night away, pranking, and just laughing to death. It was great! And Hollee was even a motherly roommate -- I've still never had a roommate who would cover me up if I fell asleep without a blanket -- kinda strange yet still nice of her to care! Sadly, Hollee decided to leave WC at the end of that first fall semester. That was really really hard for me to deal with - it was the first best friend I felt I had ever lost even though we were still friends. We called each other long-distance nearly everyday for that entire next semester so it wasn't too bad. I miss that friendship. She's now married and has a gorgeous baby.

Keisha: Gosh -- where should I begin? I always speak of what a horrible roommate she was - and the nasty things she did with people while I was in the room - but what many don't know is that we were best friends for a while before she "changed". She, like all the other previous roommates, was also on my tennis team. I remember practically everyone in the dorms being afraid of her - she was a very pretty girl but with a very mean attitude - this scared people! I, however, was never phased. If anything I thought it would be a fun challenge to try and befriend her. It worked! I broke through her mean deamenor and found a great friend in in the process. Soon the whole team even became great friends with her - all was peachy. But then the drugs started and the rest was history - read my very first blog if you want to know more. Change in friendship since then scares me, fills me with anxiety - because I know the toll it can take on a friendship if the change is negative and not worked on - very painful. A watse of time? No. It was a great, sad, heart-breaking, learning experience. I hate drugs.

Tracy: Tracy's story is going to be a very short one simply because, even though she was my roommate, she was never really there! She was a newcomer on the team yet she always skipped practice. Soon into our rooming together she just left never showed up at school or practice or in the room again. She was gone. Got pregnant by a member of the basketball team. The next semester she called and begged me to get a picture of her baby's daddy and send it to her in the mail - but I somehow forgot.

Amber: This will be another short one as well. Amber was the first roommate I ever had at ACU. I honestly cannot, for the life of me, remember what her last name was - it has driven me crazy off and on for about a year or two now! She was a senior who graduated that December. She and I really didn't talk very much - she was actually kind of rude. I was, however, glad that she let me sit with her and her crazy friends the first week of chapel (since I had yet to get to know anyone at that time). Luckily I began dating Ryan and he and I sat together the rest of that semester! I miss Ryan! He is married now but I really want to just say hi to him but I don't know how that would fly - me being his ex and all. Oh well - I am honestly glad he is happy and that Blake has a mom now! Oh yeah -- back to Amber -- well, that's all I had to say about her. I never really got to know her! ha ha.

Lindsay: Lindsay was my second, pot luck, roommate at ACU. Lindsay was way cool! She and I lived together for about a semester I think. We were never really too close but we did get along really well. She and I (and some others) even drank in the apartment a few times (wooo! shhh!). I don't have much though that I remember about her. What I do remember is these Ansel Adams pictures she hung in our living room - I really didn't like them but I really couldn't dispute her attempt at decorating seeing as how I probably sucked worse at it!

Whitney: I love Whitney! She and I still talk a lot even though she is off at law school far away from where I am. Whitney was one of, if not THE, best roommates I have ever had the privelege of knowing. She was smart like me. She was kind of messy like I was. She was kind of quiet like me yet able to come out of her shell (like me) and shock people at times. I remember she and I staying up late on many many nights just laughing the night away or talking about the days events. And I loved the nights when Becky would come chill too and we'd all ghetto dance! Also, she (and Becky) was a club sista' of mine so we always had lots to talk about once we got back to our apartment from club meetings! One time I paid Whitney $5.00 (yeah, I'm cheap) to clean this nasty rotten soup that I had let mold in the microwave. She was so brave to clean that stinky scum up and TO THIS DAY I still apologize to her and thank her for cleaning that for me! Thank you Whitney! THANK YOU SO MUCH! Anyway, I love Whitney! What an awesome person, roommate, and friend!

Melody: Melody is my current roommate. I can't really say too much at this time since the whole roommate experience hasn't fully played out yet. All I can say is that we are two very different people and that I sometimes disagree with and argue with her (even though I probably shouldn't) - but she really is a nice and smart girl. I hope things work out well. :)





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home